Monday, September 14, 2009

Summer Fun: Minneapolis Sculpture Garden

One of the places I've always wanted to visit is the Minneapolis Sculpture Garden. I've been there before, but only briefly. And, somehow on my previous visit I missed the Spoonbridge and Cherry sculpture.

One day we didn't have anything planned, so I threw the boys in the car and we went on an adventure to the Sculpture Garden.


There it is! We found it!

I'm can't saythat I "get" it as a piece of art, but it's kind of fun!
The boys liked the water spraying out of the top of the cherry stem.
We all agreed that the cherry looks quite delicious.

It makes you want to run around and chase your annoying older brother.

And it makes your older brother want to annoy you some more.



Here are some shots from the garden part of the sculpture garden.
I thought this arbor thing was cool.



You've got to love Black-eyed Susans. They just make you smile!


I don't remember what kind of flower this is, but I thought it was beautiful. It was about the size of my hand!





This sculpture was entitled "Prometheus Strangling a Vulture II."
The boys were quite taken with it.
What is it with boys and violence?


This is another interesting one.
The boys liked it because it looks like playground equipment.


Ethan liked this guy...not sure who he is.


This was an interesting one. It was a series of large windows, but the glass was very reflective. Sometimes you weren't sure if what you saw was on the other side of the glass or a reflection. We could have stayed here for hours...very entertaining.
It is called, "Two-way Mirror Punched Steel Hedge Labyrinth."
We had a lot of fun at the Sculpture Garden. I liked the fact that my kids could experience art without the confines of a traditional museum. We loved the freedom to run around and yell without risking stares and "shh"s!

No comments: